Friday, January 27, 2017

Back in the USA

After landing and making it through customs at MSP-St. Paul International Airport yesterday, I pulled out my smartphone to call a cab and was instantly pulled back into our first-world, technology-dependent society. I was disappointed. I had already been in contact with Prosperity to hear about the events from the day back in Ilula. I was also in touch with Mahveen and Nadia in Tanzania and Margaret in Uganda. I wanted to go back. As I unloaded my luggage into my warm apartment and took a hot shower, it dawned on me how extremely fortunate I am. I already knew that, of course, but it was another reminder. Still, I want to go back.

There were days on this trip when I struggled - mentally, physically, and emotionally - but I wouldn't change those days for anything in the world. I'll never forget when I walked into the room where a patient was already deceased...or the day when I saw a live birth and C-section over the course of six hours. My knowledge of infectious disease grew exponentially during my time in Ilula - a lot of this was due to my experiences with the patients but also thanks to Randy who took every opportunity to teach me and encouraged me on rounds to become more involved and write notes (even though he could probably tell that I was a wee bit apprehensive at first). :) The group pushed me to review topics (and medications) I did not know and our daily teaching sessions were extremely informative (especially the medication-related sessions - have I mentioned that yet?). :) I know that I'll never know everything, but seeing the passion radiate from the members of our group was more inspiring than I could ever explain and I only hope to be able to bring that back to my practice.

A huge thanks to everyone in our group! To those who are already gone, you were an absolute joy to be around. To all of you still there, keep up the good work and take care of yourselves and our Tanzanian friends. :)

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I am sorry I did not get to spend more time with you! I am glad to hear you enjoyed and appreciated your time here. I hope you are hooked! Karibu sana!

    ReplyDelete