Thursday, January 26, 2017

Ilula Orphan Program

so i am not apart of the medical group but am volunteering with IOP ( ilula orphanage program) on starting to build the new office building and help with road repair which oddly are very related. the Tanzanian people do not have very much but have learned to use what they have and with a country full of natural resources is not very hard to come by but take a lot of work to get. so while starting the foundation work for the new office building we must clear the land of all vegetation and rocks in the soil. Instead of making  a pile of stones they use the stones to fill in areas of the road that the rains have washed away or even used as the aggregate used in concrete. I have also had the pleasure of working with 5 locals in the same age group as me (27) so i have been able to immerse my self in the culture from a real world perspective. The Tanzanians i work with have also taken it upon themselves to  teach me swahili and the reason they take this goal on is not to just help me but as my coworker sadiq told me, "he wants for me to be involved when we talk so i can be involved and have fun". i added a photo of where my job site which is very beautiful. usiku mwema (good night) to all of the group since i am writing this so late or to anyone reading this now habari za mchana (good afternoon).

1 comment:

  1. David, very happy for you. This trip will likely change your life.
    Big hug to both of you
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete