Thursday, February 2, 2017

A Mixed Blessings Birthday



I am writing this the day before my birthday and my coincidentally assigned blogday. Perhaps I will make an addendum.

Today I went rounding with Dr. Benjamin.  He had already begun his work. Others of the team were distributed amongst the various other ILH functions so I was with him by myself.  I heard there was a child with a substantial burn that I was anxious to see.  He had basically finished with the little girl. I decided to take a peek. The 3 1/2 year old girl had somehow splashed boing water on herself.  This is a very common problem in TZ.  The wood or charcoal stoves are low to the ground and sometimes the pots tip.  There was an infant that died of an extensive burn a week or so ago.  Fortunately, this little girl has mostly superficial second-degree burns with some deep second degree, about 18% body surface.  Of course, the important concept in treatment is to keep the second degree burns from becoming third degree, i.e. full thickness burns.  They know what they are doing here. If only there were fewer of them to know about.

I tried to make myself helpful and saw a couple kids with respiratory problems.  Both were stable; both had pneumonia. Both should do fine.  We moved on.

The Growth Chart
In the next room we went to, there was a baby, an eight month-old who was sick.  The mama was young – I do not know how young at the moment – and accompanied by bibi (grandmother).  I am not even sure why mama brought the child in now and not last week or last month. The baby has marasmus.

About 38% of children under-five years of age in Tanzania are stunted, i.e. short for age.  Stunting is a surrogate or indirect measure of chronic under-nutrition.  Wasting, low weight-for-height, is a measure of acute under-nutrition. (Remember that obesity is also malnutrition.)  Marasmus is the extreme case of wasting.

The mother had never breastfed the infant.  Dr. Benjamin speculated lack of counseling on discharge from the hospital. Did she leave early? Did she just get missed? She had told someone that her milk did not come in.  A wives’ tale, or should I say “Bibi’s tale,” is that colostrum is harmful.  Was she discouraged in this fashion?  Attempted and persistent nursing is what stimulates milk production.  What happened?  Perhaps we will find out as a few days roll by, but my language barrier will obstruct me from finding out easily.

I do not know what he has been fed. Possibly only dilute ugali.

Marasmus kids look like little old men or women.  The face is drawn, Adonis’ face is drawn and tiny.  Their ribs stick out.  My colleagues noted, “You can count his ribs.” His arms and legs are sticks.  His lips are dry and cracked. A rash is peeling the skin away on his posterior thighs.

The last case of marasmus I saw, a two year-old girl, died within two hours of admission.  Kelsey Watt, do you remember her? I know you do! Her picture, which has haunted me for several years, is now replaced by that of Adonis. Yes, I am using his real name and no apologies.  If he survives and I see him again in a year, perhaps I will apologize. Or just hug him.

Ashura, one of our nurses, is the local authority on malnutrition and knows just what to do.  We recruited the nursing students for round-the-clock attendance to help with feeding and to watch for re-feeding syndrome, intolerance of formula.  I went back to the room this evening.  The nurses have washed him and lubricated his lips. I got to hold him for a few minutes. I told him, “I am Babu,” grandfather.  I will be on edge until I know he has started improving.  This morning, my actual birthday, I am relieved and happy to report that he looks qualitatively better. This afternoon, no diarrhea and no vomiting, the latter the important sign of re-feeding syndrome. 

This morning we heard the second year Nursing Students report out on their field experiences.  The three teams each went to a separate communities where they lived for 4 weeks, assessing the community’s health needs.  They all did a marvelous job – in English.

On a further happy note, we are having a get-together for the entire staff tomorrow (now today).  I volunteered for our group to pay for the sodas and water. That was before I knew there are close to 180 people, including nurses, doctors, aids, volunteers, housecleaning staff, guards, nursing students and tutors and us.  It was also before Kikoti suggested two bottles each.  Originally I coined it a “Soda Party.” I had not connected it with my birthday.  Still it is more apt as a going-away party, since Jon and Mahveen will leave Saturday and the remainder will leave Tuesday next. I will stay on in Iringa with Birdie for another 10 days.

An update on the Soda Party. I am pretty sure it was the biggest thing at ILH since Saga’s wedding, which was BIG!  OK, so that was at the church, not the hospital, but anyway, it was BIG.

There won’t be any photos of Adonis.  You may look at the growth chart, however.  Note that his weight had crossed many lines.  I am not sure why the baby was not sent for consultation at any point in the past.  Possibly he was.  There could be a myriad reasons why nothing happened.  Perhaps I will find out. Maybe not.

Tanzanian line dance
I have a party crowd photo from my birthday party – I mean, the “Soda Party.” You can pick out what you see as blessings above. You should include the birthday present I got from the nursing students, kobe in Kiswahili or turtle in Kingereza.  I am contacting Mr. Magafuli for special dispensation to bring him (kobe) home.  I am tweeting Mr. Trump.

No comments:

Post a Comment