Saturday, February 11, 2017

The Close of our 2017 Ilula Medical Experience


As deeply as the death of our smallest charge affected me personally, I cannot let that be the last entry in the blog.  A couple others are on the list of contributors, but I know they are consumed by travel weariness and jet lag.  Hopefully, they will add their reflections too.  Thankfully, Dan McIntyre notified me that our intrepid travelers, you recall AKA “the fun group,” arrived home unscathed, though not without a little scare when two nearly missed the plane in Amsterdam.

Birdie and I remain in Iringa until Friday when we will indulge in a new experience and fly from Iringa to Dar es Salaam.  As an aside, we have contemplated using this transport both ways, to and from Iringa to Dar.  However, we tend to bring significantly extra baggage that does not return home with us, e.g. computers thanks Dan, Gary and Margaret!), some medical supplies, scrub suits intended to be left behind, this year hospice kits (thanks Jill Strykowski and Allina Friends!) and quilts for the new nursing student class, a donation of 17 stethoscopes (thanks Dan and Sue McIntyre and 3M!), 2 soccer balls, (Dan and Sue), some resuscitation equipment (thanks Jon Koratoff and Nadia Juneja), education supplies from Lauren Turner’s boyfriend’s church (Mike, I hope).  And that was just with the fun group and with apologies to those I may have missed!  So it should be apparent the difficulty we would have on the entrance trip.  And the group would miss the thrill of Mikumi National Park and the surprise of seeing African animals up close for the first time.

All in all, it was a terrific experience for me as always.  I miss being with the larger group more.  Cannot be helped, I suppose, being relegated to the fun group.

We (the collective, not the Royal) continue to learn things as our experience grows. Well, duh, you say. Me too.  As an experiment this year, because in the end we had the room, we had a couple non-medical personnel with us.  As always, this had some unexpected consequences.  Dave diligently walked daily to the Ilula Orphans Program (IOP) where he learned vernacular Kiswahili and worked hard.  Dan made forays to several schools and was the resident computer expert. Obviously these were highly useful things to do, but could be done anytime other than the medical trip.  We have had students in the past who stayed at IOP and occasionally visited us, an altogether different experience.

This time after the official experience has inspired, or perhaps incited, the contemplative side of me.  I am trying to write a “Code of Conduct,” and also a specific waiver regarding use of the public transportation.  Having a coaster bus at our disposal, mostly unused on a daily basis, is a burdensome expense; our travelers have been quite insistent that they want to ride public transportation. Yet our biggest risk in Tanzania is (motor vehicle) accident, not TB, HIV, malaria or the other maladies we tend to worry about (not even Zika or Ebola).  Bummer, since the crashes are virtually all preventable.

I will end on a high note. Once again, the trip was rewarding and memorable for me.  My hope is that our crew feels the same way!  We have met lifelong friends here in Tanzania that we look forward to seeing every year.  I truly hope my path crosses those of all our travelers’ soon and often in the future! 

Enjoy the photos below! Or above.  I will publish them separately, since Blogger is misbehaving.





No comments:

Post a Comment